Friday, July 28, 2017

Trusting God's Covering






Greetings Friends and Neighbors, 

Posting again, but I'm not sure if it's to make up for missing a week, or getting a jump-start on NEXT week! Whichever, I found this poem and thoughts from it-- some time ago.


TRUSTING

I will lift my eyes to the One who knows
and loves me in my deepest woes. 
If I but look above to Him,
He'll raise me up to rejoice and win. 
I'll depend on Him for steps each day. 
He IS the One who knows my way. 
When I am tried I'll come forth as gold. 
That is the promise of which I'm told. 
My help does come from God above. 
His creations He will always love. 
He will not slumber nor will He sleep. 
His beloved creatures He will keep. 
In His image we were made. 
He is our strength, our source, our shade. 
Shade protects from sun's bright heat. 
God protects us when we are weak. 
As a hen covers her brood under her wing,
So God covers those who trust in Him.

In thinking about God's help and leading, it's so often hard to trust when we cannot see.  This walk by faith is not easy, but it's necessary.  How do we do that?  I don't have all the answers, but I know we have to simply trust and then be willing to move forward one step at a time. 

Job 23:10 says, "But He knows the way that I take; When He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold."  The testing or trials ("tried" in KJV) tells me that it's not going to be a bed of roses without a few thorns along the way.  

1 Peter 1:7 (KJV) says "That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:" 
and 1 Peter 1:7 (in New King James Version) reads "that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, "

The words "trial" and "genuineness" in these two versions are used in the same place. 
When one goes to a court of law, the trial is for the purpose of finding out what is true, genuine, real.  So in essence, we must be tried in order for our genuineness or the reality of our faith to be seen. 

I remember taking tests and exams in school.  What trials some of those were!  If I had studied properly and had prepared well, then they weren't so bad.  In fact, I felt like I was sailing though them.  BUT if I had not done my homework, so to speak, or had studied (crammed!) at the last minute, then those tests and exams were not so much fun!  That truth of the matter in those times was that I didn’t know as much as I was hoping for.  And sometimes it was far less!

When I enrolled in a state university at the age of forty-four, I was wearing many hats.  I was no longer single, with just studying and friends on my mind.  (Should I reverse that?  Friends and studying?)  At four-four, I was teaching Sunday School, playing the organ each Sunday for morning services, on church boards, besides wearing the everyday hats of wife, mother of three young teen children, and daughter of an elderly parent. At this point in my life, I knew things had to be different... a lot different... from when I was a teenager in school.  I knew I’d no longer be able to cram at the last minute.  And I actually really learned how to study for the first time in my life.  I had to in order to be prepared for the trials of university exams.  And I did!  And I fully believe that it was because I was learning to follow God’s way and trust Him more and more to lead me..

And so for now, Good-bye and God Bless!  and
May the God of peace be with you all. Amen.  Romans 15:33  


Blessings!
Mona in Maine


No comments:

Post a Comment